Ever wondered, ‘Why me, Lord?’ Do you ever feel like someone upstairs has it out for you? If life is feeling more like a battle than a beautiful journey, maybe it’s time to wheel and come again. Even if we can’t eliminate them, if we change the way that we perceive obstacles, our lives can be so much more fulfilling. Here are some tips on how to tackle life and make a better, happier you:
- Look forward, but not too far. When you think about what you want to achieve and the many things you have to do to get there, it can be a little overwhelming. Dedicate some time to making a detailed plan. Picture where you want to be in five years and work backwards, writing down every step you need to take to get there. Now you have your plan and you know where your life is headed, focus on the present. You know the next thing you need to do, so go out and do it! Stay motivated by celebrating the small victories, and be confident in your plan and your ability to execute it.
- Never apologise for being ambitious! If your colleagues say yuh too nuff, step back and take a look at who you are. If the only reason they say that is because you’re focused on where you want to be in the future, that’s their problem. Ambition is a trait to be admired. Focusing on what others think of you invites self-doubt. Be respectful, but always honour the goals you’ve set for yourself. Run life’s race with as much vigour and power as possible – and you can only do that by giving it your all!
- Every mikkle mek a mukkle, so start saving from now! Life can be unpredictable. We can’t control everything but what we can control is the way we respond to life’s unpredictability. Take control by getting prepared. You never know what madness life has in store for you. Life will present you with a series of obstacles that you might not be equipped to overcome unless you start preparing right now.
- Everything happens for a reason. You may not understand right now why you got passed over for that promotion or didn’t get called back after your interview, but trust that your experiences will get you ready for something far greater in the future. No one is born with a backbone of steel, but over time we get stronger. We face challenges so that we can improve. After all, a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.
- Enjoy every moment of life. You’ll never be younger than you are today. Life is too short to mek it stress yuh! It doesn’t get easier, you just get better. Try to keep things in perspective, and remember that the problems you’re facing now, the ones you think will break you, will be a distant memory in five years. Make mistakes – you only stand to learn from them. Once you take that on, you’ll stop existing and start living. Work hard and take risks, but don’t forget to let your hair down every once in a while – go flex with some friends and have fun!