We’re not quite there yet, but given the unpredictable heat now we should be preparing for that season we all say we love, Summertime! We shouldn’t have to convince anyone that it’s time to retire long sleeve comfy clothing and reach for your “impy skimpy.”
If the heat we have already experienced gets worse this summer, we salt! Add our ridiculous water woes to that and people soon start to bawl. We have a whole heap of sympathy to our fellow Jamaicans who don’t own a vehicle and must walk in this hot sun. We pray we can help ease their plight and save them from spontaneous combustion this summer with these tips:
- Wear light-coloured cotton clothing, for tops, bottoms and even underwear. Light colours reflect the sun’s radiation and are much cooler than synthetics.
- Have one or two working fans at your home to help you circulate air and make you feel cooler.
- Jamaicans love to lotion, but lotions are not your friend in the heat. We know you don’t want to be ashy, but lotion may actually make you feel sweatier.
- Take frequent baths or showers in nice cool water.
- Wet towels or washcloths and place them at your neck, shoulders or on your head when the heat gets too stifling.
- Get misty! Fill a spray bottle with water and refrigerate it for a quick refreshing spray to your face as a cooler.
- Keep bottles of water in the freezer and grab one when you’re ready to go outside. As the ice melts, you’ll have a supply of cold water with you.
- We know its party season but its best to avoid alcohol because it dehydrates you.
- Get as much AC time as possible! If you don’t work in AC, then be your usual inquisitive self and pop into air-conditioned spaces like KFC, JPS, the banks, wherever.
- If you can, buy a small, portable, battery-powered fan.
- Finally, if the heat is intolerable, do not go outdoors! Stay inside and engage in activities that do not involve direct sunlight.