As Jamaicans, we know how harrowing the hurricane experience can be. But we did not expect the catastrophic damage our Caribbean neighbour, the Bahamas, suffered this week. It pains us to see the enormous need to recover and rebuild their island paradise.
There may be other ways we can respond, and a team from Jamaica’s Disaster Assistance Response Team left for the Bahamas yesterday. For ordinary citizens, we suggest what the
aid experts advise, that money is the fastest and most efficient way to get them help. We hope to see your traditional Jamaican generosity.
We’ve compiled a list of Jamaican and Bahamian businesses and organizations accepting donations for the victims of this unfortunate event.
- The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management is accepting cash donations only that may be deposited at any branch of the National Commercial Bank. Details are as follows:
Account Name: ODPEM Donation Account
Account Number: 212-387-304 (Oxford Road Branch)
- Attach Information: For the Bahamas Relief Fund
- Sandals Resorts International will be matching every dollar donated to its charity Sandals Foundation. Donations can be made to: www.sandalsfoundation.org/donation
- Food For The Poor is also accepting donations. See here for more info.
- Jamaican-owned business itelbpo is accepting donations on behalf of the relief effort. Donors can visit www.itelbpo.com for more details or call the company directly at 876-953-6907.
- The Bahamas Disaster Relief Fund, set up by the Bahamian government, is accepting wire transfers. Click here for further instructions.
- The Bahamas Red Cross is accepting donations here.
- A GoFundMe page has also been set up for the Grand Bahama Disaster Relief Foundation.